Thursday, December 21, 2006

Wild Wedding Parade!

EXTRA! EXTRA! Somebody got married! I have no idea who, but I had a blast jumping on the caravan in Khormaksar. After wedding receptions, the party typically takes it to the streets a la SPURS FANS of '99, '03 & '05! ('cept on a much smaller scale) (inshallah 2007 is our year again!)
I had to hang on for my life, but it was a blast tagging along and partaking in the merriment. We drove all over the city honking horns, chanting among other things-Usher's signature solid gold hit, "Yeah", with nothing but drums.
The driving was insane as the motley crue followed the wedding couple on their victory march: I was on a truck full of drummers and chanters and on either side of us at different times there were busloads of veiled women ululating. One guy made a makeshift flamethrower with a big aerosol can & his lighter, another couple of guys did daredevil motorcycle maneuvers while going downhill and avoiding another car that kept trying to knock them over. Here is a video of the chaos that ensued when all of the cars stopped in a tunnel. I might make this a regular Thursday night gig when there's nothing else to do.