Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My 1st session at Amideast Aden ends...
















Well the first session at Amideast Aden came to an end and I learned so much and adapted without any major problems. I really enjoy the company of the Yemeni students whether we’re playing ping-pong, which is big here, or just joking around. My students have also taught me a lot through in-class discussions.

Recently, they did presentations in class. It’s amazing that they can do this. The average Yemeni has very little opportunity to practice English. I couldn’t do the same in Arabic, at least not very coherently. (Inshallah, towards the end of the year I will be able to do that.) (note: Inshallah=Ojala=God willing= Hopefully)
and here's what some of them talked about:

Taquia did her presentation on the social problems incurred by the ubiquitous (dontcha just love that word) use of Qat in Yemen. Various photographs of Yemeni men chewing big wads of qat we’re projected on the screen as she described how this custom uses up time, money and precious water. It’s incredible to see how pervasive this habit is. From the afternoon through the evening, sales abuzz in the qat markets like this one in the Cheikh Othman area of Aden:Wherever one is, there are always chipmunk-cheeked men or the green mashed-up remains of qat on the ground. I’m constantly being invited to chew it, but honestly, it doesn’t seem that interesting to me. Especially considering that it is usually done in an enclosed room with men chain smoking. A lot of Yemeni do chew and a lot of them don’t. I have met several local men and women who do not chew. Some have never chewed and don’t plan to.

Faten talked about polio. Polio, after being eradicated in Yemen, has resurfaced unfortunately. She described the history of polio in Yemen and how it can be addressed, primarily through vaccinations and better hygiene. Afterwards, she gave me her visual aid: a poster in Arabic promoting polio vaccinations. I’ll put it up on my wall and work on my reading skills.

Mariem did an interesting talk on strange wedding customs of the world. One that stands out is an old tradition from India in which a bride is put up into a tree. The man that desires to wed her must go up the tree and bring her down. Her family, meanwhile, stands in his way to beat him. If he can get past them and successfully accomplish this task, she will be his wife. If only it were this easy today!

Marwa spoke of her time in the USA. Last summer she spent 6 weeks there, taking classes and visiting Washington, DC, Chicago, Illinois, and San Francisco, California.
She had all kinds of experiences and really enjoyed her time there. She hopes to go to school in America someday. I really hope she does. (How funny that we were both in DC this past summer!)

Khaled made a Powerpoint presentation on the upcoming Muslim celebration: Aid al Adha. It marks the time when Abraham was about to sacrifice his son to God, when a voice from heaven stopped him and allowed him to sacrifice a ram instead.

Speaking of Aid al Adha… It’s coming up and we get a break from Dec. 28-Jan 5. I’m going solo on a trip through Yemen. Who knows where exactly I’ll be for the New Year. Whatever I do, I’m getting photos and stories just for you! ;)