Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Kashidas, Futas, and Abayas!

This is everday male attire in Aden and in many parts of Yemen too. I don the garb from time to time and pass for a yemeni, sans probleme. Its fun to go incognito into the markets. It consists of a "Kashida" which is a big colored scarf used like a turban. They come in all kinds of colors and designs and are worn in all kinds of ways. It comes in handy as protection from the sun, as a handkerchief, or as a seat when tied together as a buttress for squatting comfortably on the ground.There a couple of different male "skirts". This one is called a "Futa" and is popular in the south. Sandals are the normal footgear.

So where do the wallet and keys go?

Under the fold near the waist, there is a special belt with a pouch for carrying money, keys etc. I actually use a fanny pack that I bought for $1 at a thrift store off of SW Military Drive in San Antonio. In general, I find the local dress comfortable and very convenient to wear when I go to the beach. I have my swimsuit on underneath and all I gotta do is take off the Futa et voila! Then I use the Futa as a beach towel. :)

So what do the women wear ?
Well, they wear "Abayas" which is a black frock that covers the whole body and the head and most women also cover their face as this lady does.
non-sequitir: I'm delighted that Joey Crawford is history! Finally, justice!